I saw this wrap bolero in a catalogue and felt inspired. I thought to myself that I could make this, using a cotton jersey from my stash.
I used the Desira pattern from Burdastyle and made some modifications:
- I traced the pattern from top to the waist line. It was then, after fitting, shortened another 5 cm.
- Omitted the neckline band and in stead used interfacing tape and stitched the hem.
- Added sleeves, I used another jersey pattern for the sleeves.
- I also had to take it in in the back, this was done after further fitting.
- Added band in the bottom for tying.
The bolero is not perfect, but I’m still pleased with it. I’m glad that I could have the mindset of seeing a picture and thinking I could realise the idea – and actually doing it! So far I’ve stuck to the basic idea of the pattern, perhaps made minor modifications, such as adding sleeves, but not this much. While I realise that this is not a major change, it’s a big step for me.
I must use the tiebands to make it fit properly, but that’s OK by me. I will also try and steam down the tiebands a bit more.
Third garment of 2010 completed! Now I will move on to some Christmas sewing. They have a more definitive time stamp than my goal, if I fail, I fail, if my gifts aren’t finished I’ve wasted fabrics.
Pattern: Desira from Burdastyle, modified
Difficulty: Novice (Burdastyle’s rating – I agree)
Alterations: See above
Fabric: Cotton jersey
Notions: Interfacing tape
Project rating: Not too bad for an alteration. It’s not perfect, the look is right, but the details are a bit off. I’m learning as I go along!