This dress was finished back in April, but I haven’t blogged about it. I wore it on Me-Made-June day 12.
The pattern is BurdaStyle Magazine 2009-04-123. It’s empire cut and has curved princess seams in both the bodice and the skirt. The fabric is a very soft cotton plaid, which is gorgeous and comfortable to wear. I remember when I bought it, two years ago, that I got the last of the bolt, and it was just enough left to make a maxi dress. Lucky me!
The dress was supposed to have a full lining in addition to lining for stabilisation in the bodice. I did the lining for stabilising the bodice and one for the skirt. I couldn’t bear to make to linings for the bodice, it would have been very lumpy on top. So I had to finish the neckline and armholes with bias binding. I love this dress and I love to wear it!
Pattern: Burdastyle Magazine 2009-04-123
Difficulty: 2,5 of 5 (Magazine’s rating) I agree. Not difficult sewing, but a bit tricky and some experience is needed.
Alterations: Omitted second lining for bodice
Fabric: Plaid cotton, polyester lining
Notions: Invisible zipper, eye and hook, thread
Project rating: My first maxi dress and I’m in love. From fabric to finished project it really came out as I wanted it to. My first attempt at curved seams as well, always good to try new things.