Back in May I completed my Leaf Dress, but it didn’t fit and it has since just been hanging in my wardrobe. Luckily, it’s a pretty addition to my wardrobe and mark my word, one day I will fit into this dress! The pattern is the dress from the Burdastyle Sewing Handbook. I’ve omitted the ruffle along the neckline, because I really don’t have the need to add more stuff in the chest area. The fabric is a cotton sateen from Stoff och Stil, the same I used for the Leaf Skirt (cut after the dress).
As well as omitting the neckline ruffle, I also chose not to use any closure in the neckline, I kind of like the folded-over feeling. The dress fit me (in a smaller form) perfectly without any modifications. The cotton sateen had some stretch to it, it was when I added the interfaced lining the dress did not fit me (and then I think I expanded some more).
The dress is fully lined, I used an acetate lining, the bodice of it is interfaced. I’ve always stayed away from lining clothes, but it’s not as hard as I thought and it gives the garment a polished look on the inside as well.
Project summary: Pattern: The Burdastyle sewing handbook dress. Difficulty: Intermediate. With my experience I didn’t find it hard, I liked the images that accompanied the instructions. However, I would not recommend this as a beginner pattern. Alterations: Omitted the neckline ruffle and closure. Fabric: Cotton Sateen, Acetate lining. Notions: Thread, zipper, interfacing Price: Fabric 100 SEK (€11.61), zipper 23 SEK (€2.67), lining 20 SEK (€2.32), thread and interfacing 10 SEK (€1.16). Total: 149 SEK (€17.29)
Project rating: I guess it’s no secret that I’m in love with this fabric. The dress looks good and while I could still get into it, I loved it on as well. I can’t wait to wear it! (Even if I do fit into it next summer, it will be difficult to wear next summer as I will be breast-feeding)