This was the first garment I finished after baby E was born and, to be honest, there hasn’t been many others. But still, a garment which has gotten lost in blogging world.
The top is Burdastyle 02-2013-109, one of the knit tops from that issue. It also comes as a dress option, with a skirt panel added below the top. The dress is the “sewing school” project of the issue so the instructions are clear and easy to follow.
I do like the assymetry of the top, both from the front and back. The front left side has pleats and gathers, a bit tricky to do, but a very nice detail (and yes, there still are som gathering threads I need to unpick). I had to shorten this band to make the top sit well on me, otherwise I had to pull it down to leave a very inappropriate cleavage (especially since I was in the beginning of breast-feeding at the point). This means that the pleats are a bit closer to the seam than they are supposed to be, but to me it’s not an issue.The fabric is a viscose jersey in one of my favourite colours, bordeaux. I found it in the scrap bin so it was cheaper than usual. The assymetric hemline doesn’t bother me, I like it on the outside of garments, as above, and I think it can be tucked in as well, haven’t tried, though.
Pattern: Burdastyle 02-2013-109
Alterations: Shortened shoulder strap.
Fabric: Viscose jersey
Notions: Thread, interfacing bias tape.
Estimated price: Fabric 88 SEK (€10),thread and interfacing 5 SEK (€0.57). Total: 93 SEK (€10.61)
I’m not very good on tops and blouses, so finding those patterns and making them is definitely needed. This is a fun shape in a colour I like so it will probably get a lot of wear in the winter, layered. The colour doesn’t scream “summer” to me. Perhaps I’ll make one more, but since the style is distinct I don’t want too many of it.