Burda Easy Peplum Jacket – Fail

When presenting this creation I wanted to say: ”Look, I made a fully lined jacket! It has 32 darts, shoulder pads and I’m so effing proud of myself (complete with a picture of me showing you all my fantastic purple satin lining)”. Clearly, this jacket isn’t it.

The look I wanted to achieve

The look I wanted to achieve

The cover jacket of Burda Easy FW2014 was the reason I picked up the magazine in the first place. I had it lingering in my stash for a year and worked up the courage to put the project in my FW2015 plan. I bought fabric, lining and shoulder pads. I carefully picked the size, I traced, did an FBA, in which I rotated my new side dart into the shoulder dart (following Sew Your Boat’s excellent tutorial). I sewed 20 darts, completed the peplum, did the side seams and then this.

Peplum jacket (13)

Where did my waist go?

 

I really don’t feel like continuing, because I don’t feel like this project could be saved. From the front and back I guess it looks OK, but the side view is horrendous. The jacket completely drowns me. I think it’s a combination of a size too big as well as the fabric being too heavy and stiff. There’s a lot of excess fabric in the back, where the bodice meets the peplum and the jacket completely hides my shape.

Peplum jacket (16)

A lot of excess fabric in the back.

This will be an unfinished object in all eternity I believe. I don’t see how I can rescue this garment. Especially since it’s a bitch to unpick, I refuse to do it. A shame, since I like the style of the jacket and I still want it. And I still want to make a fully lined jacket. Maybe next time I’ll size down and choose a different fabric type (I’m not 100% in love with this fabric, which is also a reason I want a do-over). The darts shall be lowered too, and now I know how to make an FBA with vertical darts only. A project is never a complete fail.

Peplum jacket (20)

This profile is just bad, bad, bad

I’m now moving on in my FW2015 plan, with a change. I did have a Chambery Bruyère on it, that has changed, the Chambery will be another blouse and the Bruyère will be postponed until I find a good fabric, and have enough to makes sleeves, which was a problem in the original plan. So changing it up as no plan is ever written in stone.

 

Do you always see a project through even if you know it will be bad? If you have any idea of a rescue for this project (keeping “unpicking is a bitch in this fabric” in mind) please let me know!

Pattern/Mönster: Burda Easy FW2014-1B
Fabric/tyg: Jacquard with circle pattern
Notions/sybehör: –

När det var tid att presentera detta plagg ville jag säga: ”Titta, jag har sytt en helfodrad kavaj! Den har 32 insnitt, axelvaddar och jag är j-vligt stolt över mig själv (med en bild där jag visar det lila satinfodret)”. Som synes, det är inte denna jacka.

 

Omslagsjackan från Burda Easy HV2014 var anledningen till att jag köpte tidningen från början. Tidningen har legat här hemma i ett år och nu tog jag mig i kragen och satte projektet i min HV2015 plan. Jag köpte tyg, foder och axelvaddar. Jag valde storlek med omsorg, kalkerade mönstret, gjorde en anpassning för stor byst, i vilken jag roterade det nya sidoinsittet till axelinsnittet (med hjälp av Sew Your Boats eminenta beskrivning). Jag sydde 20 insnitt, färdigställde skörtet, sydde sidsömmarna och sen detta:

 

Jag känner verkligen inte för att fortsätta för det känns inte som om projektet kan räddas. Framifrån och bakifrån ser kavajen OK ut, men från sidan är det fasansfullt. Kavajen dränker mig. Jag tror att det är en kombination av en storlek för stor och att tyget är för tungt och stelt. Där är mycket överskott i ryggen, där livet möter skörtet och kavajen döljer min figur helt.

 

Detta kommer nog att bli ett icke färdigställt plagg i all evighet. Jag ser inte hur jag kan rädda detta plagg, dessutom är det skitsvårt att sprätta i detta tyg. Synd, eftersom jag gillar stilen på kavajen och jag vill fortfarande ha den. Och jag vill göra en helfodrad kavaj. Nästa gång kommer jag nog att gå ner en storlek och välja ett annorlunda tyg (jag är inte helt kär i detta tyg, vilket också är en anledning att göra om , göra rätt). Insnitten ska sänkas något och nu vet jag ju hur man gör en anpassning för stor byst med bara vertikala insnitt. Ett projekt är aldrig bara misslyckande.

 

Jag går nu vidare i min HV2015-plan, med en ändring. Jag hade planerat en Bruyère i chambrey, men chambreyn blir nu en annan blus och Bruyère blir uppskjuten tills jag hittar ett nytt tyg till den, och har tillräckligt till ärmar, vilket var ett problem i första planen. Men ingen plan är skriven i sten.

 

Slutöfr du alltid alla projekt även om du vet att det kommer att bli dåligt? Har du någon idé om hur denna kavaj kan räddas (ha ”skitsvårt att sprätta detta tyg” i åtanke) så dela gärna med dig!

8 thoughts on “Burda Easy Peplum Jacket – Fail

    • Yes, I look at it that way. Of course I would want the jacket to fit me nicely, but now I’ve learnt something for my next version, whenever that will be.

  1. Nej vad tråkigt när det blir så! Det har hänt mig med. Man ser framför sig ett fantastiskt plagg, men det blir inte alls som man tänkt. Nästa försök blir säkert mycket bättre nu när du vet vad du inte ska göra.

  2. Pingback: 2015 Summary: Hits and Misses | By Eitchy

  3. Pingback: My Making a Poodle Skirt | The Monthly Stitch

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s