Cross Stitch Birth Record No. 2

Skrolla ner för text på svenska

This is a project I’m very happy to blog about, because it means it’s done! It’s been nine months in the making and it felt great to put in the final stitches in the C in and be done with Erika’s birth record. Now I just need to find a frame and hang it over her bed, just like Gustav’s birth record hangs over his.

Full image

Full image

I bought this way back in 2013, at the same time I bought Gustav’s. Since Erika was only a few months old at the time it was hard to choose, Gustav chose his own. And apparently I thought it would be a quick project since I bought them both at the same time, I didn’t realise that they’d spread over months. Some of the products were focused on the baby aspect, I wanted something that would work better for children, after all being a baby is only a small part of childhood. Also I didn’t want anything overly girly and pink, which in hindsight was good since Erika is neither overly girly or fond of pink (well, it might just be a self-fulfilling prophecy on my part, but darn it if she’s not one cool two-year-old instead of pink and girly). This animal motif fit the bill of what I wanted.

I really like this butterfly

I really like this butterfly

It was started in January and I worked on it two-three nights a week up until June when Indie Pattern Month occurred and I got lost in the world of sewing again. In October I made a conscious decision to focus on finishing the birth record because there wasn’t a lot left and I wanted to get it done.

The pattern in Backyard by Happi. To be honest, working on a cross stitch design is like painting by numbers, you just fill in the blanks with what’s been prearranged. I wasn’t really pleased with the outlines for the backstitching, though. The lines had been added as they should look, but with no regard for where the holes in the weave were. I don’t want to have too long backstitches, but some of them covered too much length. In the previous birth record, also by Happi, the backstitches were aligned according to the holes. It bothered me because since this is embroidery 101, I want to be told how I’m supposed to sew, not having to guess how I should angle my backstitches for the best result. I have done some minor freehand embroidery before (OK, once in grade school) and that’s another challenge, when I buy a cross stitch kit I expect it to come together effortlessly in terms of instructions.

Owil in a floral tree

Owil in a floral tree

I know that I’ve miscounted here and there and not all French knots are perfect. However, I also know that this is a project filled with labour of love and that my daughter loves it and does not care about the minor flaws. That makes this project a complete and utter success!

The deer and the "cat" (no, they don't know what a racoon is

The deer and the “cat” (no, they don’t know what a racoon is

 

Jag är väldigt glad över att blogga detta projekt eftersom det innebar att jag är klar! Det har tagit mig nio månader och det var riktigt skönt att sy dit de sista stygnen i C:et och bli klar med Erikas födelsetavla. Nu saknas bara en ram, så ska den hängas upp över hennes säng på samma sätt som Gustavs tavla hänger över hans.

Jag köpte båda kitten 2013 i tron att jag skulle göra båda då när Erika ammade oregelbundet och jag satt i TV-soffan hela kvällarna. Jag underskattade hur lång tid det tar att brodera. Rejält. Gustav var då 3 år och valde sitt motiv själv, men Erika var bara några månader så det var svårt att veta vad som passade henne. Jag ville inte ha ett bebis-motiv, hon kommer ju att vara barn längre än bebis, och jag ville inte heller ha något för flickigt och rosa. Med facit i hand var detta ett bra bal eftersom Erika varken är ”flickig” eller överdrivet förtjust i rosa (detta kan mycket väl vara en självuppfyllande profetia för mig, men nog är hon en riktigt häftig två-åring snarare än att vara rosa och flickig). Djurmotivet passade vad jag sökte.

Projektet påbörjades i januari och sen sydde jag två, tre kvällar i veckan fram till juni när jag istället drogs in i Indie Pattern Month och började sy igen. I oktober tog jag mig i kragen och bestämde att sy färdigt tavla eftersom det inte var så mycket kvar och jag ville bli klar.

Mönstret är Backyard av Happi. Att sy korsstygn är lite som i pysselböcker, att fylla i efter färg med vad som sägs. Jag var inte helt nöjd med ritningarna för efterstygnen. Linjerna var ditritade som det borde var, men utan hänsyn till hålen i väven. Jag vill inte ha alltför lång efterstygn, men några av dem blev riktigt långa om jag skulle följa ritningen. I den förra tavlan, också den av Happi, följde efterstygnen hålen. Det störde mig eftersom korsstygn på detta sätt är den lättaste formen av broderi, jag vill veta hur jag ska sy utan att behöva tänka på hur jag ska vinkla stygnen för att få ett bra resultat. Tidigare har jag gjort frihandsbroderi (OK, en gång i högstadiet) och det är en annan utmaning, men när jag köper ett korsstygnskit förväntar jag mig att jag kan sy det utan bekymmer.

Jag vet att jag har räknat fel här och där och att inte alla franska knutar är perfekta. Emellertid vet jag också att detta är ett projekt fyllt med kärlek och att min dotter älskar det och bryr sig inte det minsta om småfelen. Det gör detta projekt till en rungande succé!

2 thoughts on “Cross Stitch Birth Record No. 2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s