Sewn: Lumberjack Outfit

Neither of these pieces were actually planned to be made, but all of a sudden here they are and I’m a lumberjack. And I’m OK with that. Maybe it’s time for me to start pressing wild flowers and have afternoon tea with scones? Or hang around in bars?

If I were to hang around in bars, this would probably not be my chosen outfit. The trousers are sewn specifically for work. You see I work in a facility under construction. When we go out there it’s full-on construction worker mode, with a hardhat, safety shoes, goggles, gloves and high visibility jacket, all of which I have through my job. As I don’t do much actual construction work I don’t have any “worker trousers”, but instead wear my own as we are not allowed to be bare-legged on the construction site. The issue is that I don’t have many trousers, so I had to make some.

Pockets are key, so I added all kinds of them, all of the patch variety. Front back and on both thighs. They’re still pockets on tight trousers, but small stuff can be carried there.

The shirt was made as a wearable muslin, and therefore not perfect. The most obvious flaw is that I placed the buttonholes too far from the edge making them look off and also making the shirt a bit tighter than intended. I still like the style of the shirt, it appeals to my inner 90s teenager.

Soundtrack to post: I’m a Lumberjack by Monty Python.

Materials used:

The trousers are the Pinda pants from Waffle Patterns. I have made them in the past and the fit is pretty good on me without much alterations. However, my first pair were made using the size indicated by my measurements, they turned out way too big. I added all the pockets I could find and skipped sewing the leg darts to get a more boot cut look instead of slim legs. The pattern instructions are really easy to follow and I want to do my best to remember this as the fly instruction is clear and easy to follow.
Notes for next time:

  • Reduce bulk in the front.
  • Make belt loops a bit larger.
  • Make the back waistband with a centre seam as to pull it in, as needed.

The fabric is a stretch denim I found in the remnant bin at Ohlssons Tyger. Notions used are a zipper for the fly and a button.

The shirt is New Look 6407. I made an FBA and managed to squeeze out the long-sleeved version even though my fabric didn’t reach the yardage of the required amount. The instructions were a bit lackluster, especially for the sleeve cuffs. They are not my best work, but I really couldn’t figure out how New Look meant for me to put them in.
Notes for next time:

  • Get the order right in sewing the collar.
  • Work more on the cuffs.
  • Put the buttons and buttonholes more to the center front

The shirt fabric is from Stoff och Stil, where I found it in the remnant bin, the shirt buttons were found in my stash.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s