As many people around the world, the years 2020 and 2021 have been marked by working from home. My sewing machine has been pushed to the side to accommodate my laptop, screen, keyboard and mouse pad. I’ve been using my over locker on the floor, since I couldn’t be arsed to keep moving it up and down from the table. During numerous Zoom meetings, my co-workers and other partners have been treated to views of my fabric stash and cut out projects waiting for their turn. (At one point we did do a fun game in which we photographed our setup and guessed whose work place it was – we’d only seen what is behind everyone).
I’m not going to lie. While I haven’t fallen down into the really leisurely way of dressing for working from home, my outfits have been way more casual than what I would wear in the office. And then I do work in a pretty casual office. So, I’m taking the opportunity to add some more dressier bits to my wardrobe again. And colour! I’d like to think that I sew with a lot of colour, but this picture by @bloome_comics hit close to home. All those years of sewing neutral pieces “that goes with everything” ends up with a practical wardobe, but not very fun. So, let’s add some more statement pieces, shall we?
Maybe a forest green top isn’t really “statement” but it’s a lovely colour, especially for fall. The drape works great for the Deer and Doe Airelle top. It’s my second attempt on this pattern, the first one, also green, was sewn in a cotton, which was a bit too stiff so it didn’t comply with all the gathers of the top and just sort of rested on me. It was weird and sadly waste of a lovely fabric. This time the fabric is a viscose remnant from Ohlssons Tyger, where you can by remnants by weight.
I did my new appraoch to the Deer and Doe patterns, added length above the vertical dart, below the armscye and that’s it. The block fits me fairly well, so now I just want to sew Deer and Doe everything! However, I’m not sure I 100% succeeded on the collar. Still works. As I was working on the top, I got the idea make the pattern into a buttoned blouse and omit the collar. I think that could work and it would be a project for next spring or summer.