Tag Archives: Bow Dress

Top 3 of 2013: Misses

Even though I don’t have many creations under my belt for 2013, I still have some misses. Or “projects to learn from” to keep a positive spirit.

wpid-11384379103_a621f96522.jpg

The Heavenly Nursing Dress was a great dress in theory and for the first wears. But as I wore it, the weight of the dress dragged it down and made th “nursing holes” visible from the front. I really like wearing it, those times I did it plus I played with the machine to make the jersey look neat, so at least I learnt something from this project. But, even though I do breast-feed in public, I’m just not keen on flashing my bra in between feedings. It could’ve have been a summer staple, but ended up being discarded after a few wears. At least I won’t be making any more nursing wear, so the need to cut holes in my clothes will disappear.

One of my dresses I put a lot of work into was my Bow Dress. The fabric is adorable and comfortable to wear and I put a lot of effort into the design and finishing. In my creation post I seemed happy enough, but I was fooling myself. The dress is too short and the colour does not look good on me. Plus, since the skirt is cut on the bias, is lightweight and have a bias tape finish, it drapes a bit weird, making the shortness even more apparant and it skims with plenty of emphasis on my thighs, not pretty. It’s my second fail on a pattern with so much promise, I love the bodice. Third time’s the charmed? But there are so many other patterns to try first.

My third fail will be the knot tank. As with the Bow Dress the colour is not for me, the straps don’t fully cover my bra straps and it’s clingy. It has never been worn and it is very likely that it never will be. It was a quick scrap project. I’ve never even blogged it, so I couldn’t even fool myself with it, as I could the Bow Dress.

Advertisement

Bow Dress

Bow Dress (2)Ah, my bow dress. It felt as if it ran a risk to be overdesigned when I had the flu, since I just kept adding more and more details (such as the bias tape down the front) but in the end I really like it. Perhaps taking a break isn’t a bad thing after all, since you get some distance to the project.

Bow Dress (3)

The pattern is Burdastyle 10-2011-129, which I have modified quite a bit. Not the basic shape, but the original pattern is a maxi dress with long sleeves, so just by the first picture it’s obviously altered. I shortened the dress, made it sleeveless, removed the side zipper (I think the buttons are enough closure) and used a bunch of bias tape. The bias tape along the back neckline and armholes are used as facings, the rest are purely decorative.Bow Dress (4)

I have made up this pattern before, as a blouse with a peplum, but I’m thinking of turning it into a dress as it didn’t work very well as a blouse. I just need to find a skirt fabric, which so far hasn’t been a priority. That blouse however showed off the feature I like about this dress which is the drafting of the bodice. The neckline is unusual and I love the look of it, it’s flattering and not too low cut. I also like the pleating along the waistline. It feels like a bodice drafted for those of us with some curves on top.Bow Dress

The fabric is a lightweight viscose with printed bows (hence the name of the dress) and I also used buttons, interfacing and bias tape. The skirt is cut on the bias for a little extra flow, however I do worry that it ended up too short and too flowy as the bias tape stiffened the hem. There is also a small gaping at the neckline. All in all I’m pretty pleased with my dress, but afraid of the length being too short. I also think a belt, I have a black Obi-belt, would flatter the look.

Project summary:

Pattern: Burdastyle 10-2011-129, Boho Crepe Chiffon Long Dress
Alterations: Shortened skirt, omitted sleeves and side zipper, used bias facing in neckline and armholes.
Difficulty: Intermediate. There are some tricky details such as the inseam pockets and pleats and the instructions are a bit hard to decipher.

Fabric: Printed viscose.
Notions: Buttons, interfacing, bias tape and thread
Estimated price: Fabric 99.88 SEK (€11.87), bias tape 19.95 SEK (€2.37), buttons, interfacing and thread 10 SEK (€.1.18). Total: 129,83 SEK (€15.42)

Project rating:
I really like the drafting of the bodice and I think my alerations tyrned out pretty good. The pockets and length of the dress do worry me, but perhaps it’s all in my head.